[BioC] Error loading bioconductor ... in Rterm ....

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Apr 15 19:14:03 MEST 2003

    >> I am using the latest Bioconductor developement version
    >> on Windows.  The command library(affy) works fine from
    >> the R GUI.  But I am not able to import any packages
    >> (e.g. affy) when I use the ESS+XEmacs or simply Rterm
    >> shell mode. I get the following error: I think that it
    >> may be due to some extra work the package upload routine
    >> tries to do like adding "Vignettes" menu to the GUI and
    >> fails to do so in the Rterm mode.

    JeffG> It appears that the package widgetTools (which is
    JeffG> called by affy) tries to check if it is under GUI
    JeffG> mode or not before adding a Vignette tab to the GUI
    JeffG> menubar.  However, the current check that it is using
    JeffG> is if(interactive), which is still TRUE even in
    JeffG> Rterm.  We're looking at finding a mechanism to
    JeffG> detect if it is inded Rgui instead of Rterm ...

That's not hard:
        .Platform $ GUI
is  "Rgui" or "RTerm", respectively.
I'm not perfectly sure this will stay exactly the same, since
it's not documented and the capitalization seems not logical
("Term" vs "gui") to me.

R-core, shouldn't we document some of the possible values here,
the two windows ones being of particular importance?

Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch>	http://stat.ethz.ch/~maechler/
Seminar fuer Statistik, ETH-Zentrum  LEO C16	Leonhardstr. 27
ETH (Federal Inst. Technology)	8092 Zurich	SWITZERLAND
phone: x-41-1-632-3408		fax: ...-1228			<><