[BioC] Format problems

Claire Wilson ClaireWilson at PICR.man.ac.uk
Thu Aug 14 13:52:38 MEST 2003

Right. We've been looking into it. This is a problem that has been seen before:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/bioconductor/2003-June/001681.html

what we think has been happening is this:
some of our expression levels (from MAS5.0) are zero. Which screws us up when we take log2... After some processing, we were ending up with some NaNs in our table. This means (as Vincent Carey pointed out) that when we pull out the column containing the NaNs on its own, R invokes 'make.names' on the row names of the data.frame in order to generate the names for the column. The result is that '1007_s_at' becomes 'X1007.s.at. If the column doesn't contain NaNs R doesn't invoke make.names - so we keep the correct name. Note that this doesn't appear to happen with matrices...

Here is a minimal example showing what is going on:

>  t1 <-c(1,2,3,4,NaN)
>  t2 <-c(1,2,3,4,5)
>  names(t1)<-c("111_a","222_a","333_a","a_4","a_5");
>  names(t2)<-c("111_a","222_a","333_a","a_4","a_5");

>  t3 <- cbind(t1,t2)
>  t4 <- as.data.frame(t3)

>  t3[t3[,1]>0,]
      t1 t2
111_a  1  1
222_a  2  2
333_a  3  3
a_4    4  4
<NA>  NA NA
>  t4[t4[,1]>0,]
       t1 t2
X111.a  1  1
X222.a  2  2
X333.a  3  3
a.4     4  4
NA     NA NA
>  t3[t3[,2]>0,]
       t1 t2
111_a   1  1
222_a   2  2
333_a   3  3
a_4     4  4
a_5   NaN  5
>  t4[t4[,2]>0,]
       t1 t2
111_a   1  1
222_a   2  2
333_a   3  3
a_4     4  4
a_5   NaN  5

Sooo, if we select on a column containing NaN's in a data.frame, the returned row names have been changed, and the names of rows containing NA have also been replaced by 'NA'. Also, the NaNs become NAs in the returned columns. Matrices behave OK - but note that the rownames of rows containing an NaN become <NA>.

For both datatypes, the NaNs become NA in the actual columns.

I guess the rowname problem is a conflict that arises particularly for Affy users in bioconductor because id's with '_'s in them are changed. It's certainly an issue people should be aware of - since it makes the names of probes in data.frames change according to the kind of numeric data they contain... (And also the actual values (e.g. NaN becomes NA).

Cheers,
Claire and Crispin