[BioC] Using read.maimages() with Imagene output files.

Gordon Smyth smyth at wehi.edu.au
Thu Aug 14 23:48:47 MEST 2003

OK, try out limma version 1.1.11 which is available from
http://bioinf.wehi.edu.au/limma/

I have added "imagene" as a possible value for the argument 'source' for
'read.maimages'. For Imagene data, the argument 'files' should contain a
matrix of file names, the first column for the cy3 channel files and the
second column for the cy5 channel files. I have made "Signal Mean" the
default for foreground and "Background Median" the default for background.
Here is a little example:

 > files
      [,1]                     [,2]
[1,] "cy3-pt1-cf-t0-7946.txt" "cy5-pt1-cf-t0-7946.txt"
[2,] "cy3-pt1-wt-t3-8179.txt" "cy5-pt1-wt-t3-8179.txt"
 > RG <- read.maimages(files,source="imagene",names=c("slide7946","slide8179"))
Read header information
Read cy3-pt1-cf-t0-7946.txt
Read cy5-pt1-cf-t0-7946.txt
Read cy3-pt1-wt-t3-8179.txt
Read cy5-pt1-wt-t3-8179.txt
 > MA <- normalizeWithinArrays(RG)
 > RG
An object of class "RGList"
$R
      slide7946 slide8179
[1,]  471.7000 1310.4737
[2,]  478.9474 1192.4118
[3,]  603.3200 1678.8700
[4,]  698.8986 1658.7586
[5,]  428.0727  589.9016
19195 more rows ...

$G
      slide7946 slide8179
[1,]  543.8400 1021.7600
[2,]  492.4182 1033.5517
[3,]  722.1818 1505.1881
[4,]  696.3235 1454.2424
[5,]  460.9800  588.2407
19195 more rows ...

$Rb
      slide7946 slide8179
[1,]     582.0      1563
[2,]     624.0      1609
[3,]     530.0      1615
[4,]     606.5      1429
[5,]     706.0      1256
19195 more rows ...

$Gb
      slide7946 slide8179
[1,]       598    1337.0
[2,]       643    1271.5
[3,]       730    1663.0
[4,]       741    1348.0
[5,]       714    1067.5
19195 more rows ...

$printer
$ngrid.r
[1] 8

$ngrid.c
[1] 4

$nspot.r
[1] 25

$nspot.c
[1] 24

$genes
   Field Meta Row Meta Column Row Column Gene ID
1  test        1           1   1      1 R11726:
2  test        1           1   1      2 R11726:
3  test        1           1   1      3 R37412:
4  test        1           1   1      4 R37412:
5  test        1           1   1      5 R11793:
19195 more rows ...

You can change the foreground/background if you like, for example:

RG <- read.maimages(files,source="imagene",columns=list(f="Signal
Mean",b="Background Mean"))

Gordon