[BioC] Limma parameters

Gordon Smyth smyth at wehi.edu.au
Tue Dec 9 00:19:26 MET 2003

Dear Stephen,

A good question. It is actually very easy mathematically to estimate the
proportion ('p') from the eBayes model. We don't do this at the moment
because we don't think the simply heirarchical model fits the data well
enough for the estimate of this parameter to be biologically meaningful. We
thought it better to use a plug-in value rather than to risk misleading
people re the true proportion of differentially expressed genes in their
samples.

If you like, you can simply set 'p' to a value you're more comfortable
with. In any case, this will not change the ranking of the genes using the
log-odds. And the moderated t-statistics provide an almost equivalent
inferential method that does not require 'p' at all.

Getting a good biologically believable estimate of 'p' is a non-trivial
problem which we and others are working on. If you want a data driven
method right now try this: convert the log-odds of differential expression
to probabilities, then vary 'p' until it matches the mean probability.

Regards
Gordon