[BioC] gcrma vs. rma

Ben Bolstad bolstad at stat.berkeley.edu
Fri Dec 12 18:35:10 MET 2003

The two routines vary on how the background adjustment is carried out.
If you view computing expression values as a three stage process

1. Background Correction
2. Normalization
3. Summarization

then in the case of rma()

step 1 is a convolution model
step 2 is quantile normalization
step 3 is a robust multichip model fit using median polish

in the case of gcrma()

step 1 is a based on a model using GC content
step 2 is quantile normalization
step 3 is a robust multichip model fit using median polish

I would not expect the exact same values from both methods.

Thanks,

Ben