[BioC] Multtest Question!

Sandrine Dudoit sandrine@stat.berkeley.edu
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 09:55:43 -0800 (PST)

We used Gaussian p-values simply as an example.
You can use the function mt.maxT to obtained permutation unadjusted
p-values as well as adjusted p-values.

In general, the Gaussian p-values should be adequate when you have
fairly large sample sizes in both groups, so that AVERAGES in both
groups are approximately normally distributed.

The assumptions behind t-distribution p-values are more restrictive:
it is assumed that INDIVIDUAL expression measures have a Gaussian
distribution. This is not very realistic.

You can find a discussion of t and z-tests in pretty much any
introductory statistics textbook. I like "Statistics" by Freedman,
Pisani and Purves.

Best regards,
Sandrine

Sandrine Dudoit, Ph.D.               E-mail: sandrine@stat.berkeley.edu
Assistant Professor                  Tel: (510) 643-1108
Division of Biostatistics            Fax: (510) 643-5163
School of Public Health		     http://www.stat.berkeley.edu/~sandrine
University of California, Berkeley
140 Earl Warren Hall, #7360
Berkeley, CA 94720-7360