[BioC] vsn in BioConductor 1.2

White, Charles E WRAIR-Wash DC Charles.White at NA.AMEDD.ARMY.MIL
Mon Jul 21 15:30:16 MEST 2003

I spent the weekend getting to know this program better than I wanted
<grin>, but I probably still don't know it well enough. The fool's gold of
my wisdom is as follows:

1) I would seriously consider reducing the amount of data you feed this
program. It took 4.5 hours to process a 15,552 x 38 matrix on a 1.2 GHz
Pentium III. There is a reason why the function vsnh exists. Unless you have
some serious GHz, you probably want to run vsn on a random sample of genes
or on one array at a time.

2) Assuming that you are using data from a two channel microarray, I
strongly suspect that the red and green channels need to be side by side in
your matrix. I think the point is to quantify measurement variation without
contamination from any unnecessary source. I don't see any other way that
pair information is being passed to vsn.

3) I think that your problem and my old problem are likely to be quite
different. I fed the program data in a format it didn't understand and you
probably fed the program more data than it could process in a reasonable
amount of time. (Since the program doesn't use "much" memory, you wouldn't
have heard the hard drive running even if the program was still running.)

4) I am pleased with the results I'm now getting from vsn. My initial
problems with this program were related to how I understand the
relationships between data elements and Bioconductor objects verses what
appears to be a somewhat different relationship in vsn.