[BioC] difference between Affy & spotted arrays

Jenny Drnevich drnevich at uiuc.edu
Fri Jul 25 14:57:03 MEST 2003

>I am not that familiar with Affy, but I think that, because their setup is
>very different (e.g., multiple probes per clone), the direct analogy "if we
>do it with Affy we ought to be able to do it with cDNA" does not really hold
>just like that.

I had also been wondering about this issue of why spotted chips must be
referenced but Affy chips are not. I got a seemingly logical explanation
from Jeff Townsend: Array to array variation per spot in the amount
deposited, shape of the spot, etc., is extremely high for spotted arrays,
even with the best spotters and protocols, therefore you always need
expression levels to be referenced. Affy's photolithographic method is
*supposed* to have much greater precision in the number & placement of
probes per feature, making direct array to array comparisons possible.

Jenny Drnevich, Ph.D.
Department of Animal Biology
515 Morrill Hall
505 S Goodwin Ave