[BioC] errors in imageplot() in limma

Gordon Smyth smyth at wehi.edu.au
Tue Jul 29 11:35:51 MEST 2003

Dear Michael,

At 01:47 AM 29/07/2003, michael watson (IAH-C) wrote:
>Hi
>
>I am getting some rather confusing messages from the imageplot() function
>in limma.  As in my previous mail, I am using a version of Bioconductor
>1.2 from the website from about 2 weeks ago.
>
>I am reading the data in from a GenePix file but I want to use Medians
>rather than Means, so I did:
>
> >RG <-
> read.maimages("F:\\IBDV_Experiment\\same_layout\\lame#9.adjusted.gpr",columns=list(Rf
> = "F635.Median",Gf = "F532.Median", Rb = "B635.Median", Gb = "B532.Median"))
>
>This seemed to work.  Then:

This is fine.

> >MA <- MA.RG(RG)
>
>Again, this seemed to work fine.  Then I did:
>
> >> imageplot(MA, layout=list(ngrid.r=8,ngrid.c=4,nspot.r=16,nspot.c=16))

This won't work because imageplot doesn't know which array you want to do
the imageplot for or what statistic you want to plot. (There is no such
thing as an imageplot of a whole series of arrays, at least no one has
defined such a thing yet.) As explained in the online help, the first
argument z to imageplot should be a numeric vector rather than an MAList
object. Unfortunately there aren't any good examples which make this clear
in the online documentation yet. For example, if you want to plot the
log-ratios for the first array, simply use

imageplot(MA$M[,1], layout=list(ngrid.r=8,ngrid.c=4,nspot.r=16,nspot.c=16))

Gordon