[BioC] quantile normalization

Laurent Gautier laurent at cbs.dtu.dk
Wed Jun 4 07:23:52 MEST 2003

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 05:54:47PM +0100, Martino Barenco wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My understanding of quantile normalization is that values for several
> data sets are ranked, then the average per rank is taken and is
> reattributed to each data set according to the original rank (hope this
> makes sense). My question is: how does one deal when ties occur?
> - One possibility would be to force a tied value to be greater than the
> other (using the "order" command instead of "rank"). Even though it
> would not make a huge difference it is a bit arbitrary.
> - Another possibility is to "force" the ties across all data sets,
> quite arbitrary as well.
> - or maybe a combination of both, but it looks like a nightmare to
> program!

I am not too sure either about the practical importance
for real life data (althought ties should be around for Affymetrix chips
-- chips like U95 have roughly 400 kiloprobes and the intensity range
is often [0.0, 30000.0] with a large number of low intensities).
(note: the package affy has more than one 'quantiles-based' normalization
method; by alphabetic order: "qspline", "quantiles", "quantiles.robust")

> So, what should be done? Also, is there a method such as "normalize"
> that acts on exprSet rather than AffyBatch?

Not yet (but long running thoughts about unifying normalization methods
had a ray of hope, very recently)... In the meanwhile, you can hack your
own in a wink (look at the vignette 'affy: custom processing methods').

> Thanks
>
> Martino
> Martino Barenco
> CoMPLEX
> 4, Stephenson Way
> London NW1 2HE
> Tel.: +44 20 7679 5088
> Fax.: +44 20 7383 5519
> Email: m.barenco at ucl.ac.uk

currently at the National Yang-Ming University in Taipei, Taiwan