[BioC] quantile normalization

Martino Barenco sejjmba at ucl.ac.uk
Tue Jun 3 18:54:47 MEST 2003

Hi,

My understanding of quantile normalization is that values for several
data sets are ranked, then the average per rank is taken and is
reattributed to each data set according to the original rank (hope this
makes sense). My question is: how does one deal when ties occur?
- One possibility would be to force a tied value to be greater than the
other (using the "order" command instead of "rank"). Even though it
would not make a huge difference it is a bit arbitrary.
- Another possibility is to "force" the ties across all data sets,
quite arbitrary as well.
- or maybe a combination of both, but it looks like a nightmare to
program!

So, what should be done? Also, is there a method such as "normalize"
that acts on exprSet rather than AffyBatch?

Thanks

Martino
Martino Barenco
CoMPLEX