[BioC] installing XML in linux

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Mon Jun 9 09:35:34 MEST 2003

Jeff Gentry <jgentry at jimmy.harvard.edu> writes:

> On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Mahbub Latif wrote:
>> Thanks a lot Prof Bates. One more thing... What Debian
>> packages should I install to install R packages
>> Rgraphviz and rhdf5?
>
> You need the Graphviz library installed:
> http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/graphviz/download.html
>
> They have a debian package there, but it is probably not new enough as
> Rgraphviz requires a version of Graphviz newer then their last official
> release (and they only have up to 1.8.9 as debian package anyways).  Your
> best bet is to download the current CVS snapshot at:
> http://www.graphviz.org/pub/graphviz/, and compile it normally.

It's worse than that -- Rgraphviz needs the development libraries, and
the Debian package doesn't really provide them.  Yech.

> rhdf requires the HDF5 library to be installed:
> http://hdf.ncsa.uiuc.edu/HDF5/
> Installation directions are available on their site.

On the other hand, this is simple for debian.

apt-get install libhdf5-serial-dev

unless you really want the MPI or PVM versions.

best,
-tony

A.J. Rossini  /  rossini at u.washington.edu  /  rossini at scharp.org
Biomedical/Health Informatics and Biostatistics, University of Washington.
Biostatistics, HVTN/SCHARP, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center.
FHCRC: 206-667-7025 (fax=4812)|Voicemail is pretty sketchy/use Email

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachments ... {{dropped}}