[BioC] Bioconductor and BASE

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Wed Jun 11 19:18:07 MEST 2003

Lao Saal <lhs74 at columbia.edu> writes:

> I am wondering if anyone out there has implemented any BASE plug-ins
> using Bioconductor?  I'm not aware of anything yet, but see some great
> opportunities.  Is anyone using BASE or interested in making
> Bioconductor tools compatible with it?
>
> For those of you not familiar with BASE, you can find more information
> at http://base.thep.lu.se/.  It is basically a web-based platform for
> a biologist to manage all areas of microarray experimentation,
> including data analysis via plug-in modules.
>
> I'd like to hear your thoughts.  Additionally, some of the BASE
> developers are going to be at the upcoming MGED6 meeting -- so that
> could be a good opportunity to meet and discuss the possibilities in
> person.

There are two general approaches that could be taken here -- one would
be server-side, to use the R PHP interface (assumed it is any good)
that was just announced on r-help.

The other approach, which I prefer (but it's just me, perhaps), would
be to use BASE as a backing-store for computing on.

We'd briefly talked by email before, Lao, but I've not had a chance to
follow up.  I'd be interested in being in the loop on any proposals,
in case I might be able to contribute.

best,
-tony

A.J. Rossini  /  rossini at u.washington.edu  /  rossini at scharp.org
Biomedical/Health Informatics and Biostatistics, University of Washington.
Biostatistics, HVTN/SCHARP, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center.
FHCRC: 206-667-7025 (fax=4812)|Voicemail is pretty sketchy/use Email

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachments ... {{dropped}}