[BioC] question abour background subtraction in RMA

Antille,Nicolas,LAUSANNE,NRC-BAS nicolas.antille at rdls.nestle.com
Fri Jun 13 14:34:19 MEST 2003

Hello!

I'm currently studying in details the Robust Multichip Average procedure for
normalizing microarrays data. I am particulary intersted in the background
subtraction. In the description of the affy package, it is said the the
function bg.parameters provides adhoc estimates of the parameters of the
normal and exponential distributions. What does the word adhoc means?
Can someone explain me the way these parameters are estimated?

Thanks in advance!

Regards

Nicolas

Nicolas Antille