[BioC] maanova background correction

James MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Wed Jun 25 10:26:24 MEST 2003

This is one of many options, and maybe it is a good idea. My main worry
about background is that you are assuming that the non-specific binding
of cDNA to the area just outside a spot is equal to the non-specific
binding within the spot.

All of the spotted arrays we use in our core have negative controls
(salmon sperm cDNA, cot-1, A. thaliana, etc). On the odd occasion that a
slide has a huge smear of background fluorescence going across the
slide, it is invariably true that the negative controls are 'black
holes' in the middle of the background. This implies to me that the
non-specific binding within a spot of cDNA is quite different than to
the remainder of the slide.

Because of this observation, I am reluctant to assume that the current
method of estimating background gives an unbiased estimate.

It might be interesting to do a background estimate like the one used
in rma, where the background is estimated from those spots with no
apparent binding. However, this would require a relatively large array.

Jim

James W. MacDonald
UMCCC Microarray Core Facility
1500 E. Medical Center Drive
7410 CCGC
Ann Arbor MI 48109
734-647-5623

>>> <kfbargad at lg.ehu.es> 06/25/03 05:04AM >>>
I agree that subtracting background can add variability to your
dataset, but I think that if you don t subtract it you risk having
spots with a signal value composed of its real signal value plus a
high background signal value. What do you think about prefiltering for

those spots with an ubnormal high background value and then doing your

analysis? Could this be an option?

David