[BioC] Memory Requirments

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at jimmy.harvard.edu
Wed Jun 25 11:22:30 MEST 2003

Hi,
  two (and a half) points,

  please indicate what platform and what version of R you are using -
  it is hard to give good advice without you giving us some
  indications

  it looks like Windows, in that case there is a FAQ that you can look
  at (www.r-project.org) and the mailing list archives have a number
  of discussions of just this point, please have a look there

  memory usage with affy (and a few other things) has been an issue,
  we are trying to address it and I think that things should improve
  shortly. Manually removing unneeded objects might help as well.

  Robert

On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 08:56:12AM -0400, Michael Barnes wrote:
> What are the memory requirments when running Bioconductor's Affy
> package?  I have 38 U95a chips and when I try to process the data I
> get:
>
>  expresso(Data,widget=TRUE)
> background correction: rma
> normalization: quantiles
> PM/MM correction : pmonly
> expression values: medianpolish
> background correcting...Error: cannot allocate vector of size 83200 Kb
> In addition: Warning message:
> Reached total allocation of 1024Mb: see help(memory.size)
>
> Is this saying that the vector size for each chip is 83Mb?  Otherwise,
> what is going on?
>
> In addition, is this a reasonable analysis or is this duplicating the
> functions used in rma as may be suggested in "Textual description of
> Affy", pg 14?  I don't quite understand from the vignette.
>
> Michael Barnes

| Robert Gentleman                 phone : (617) 632-5250                   |
| Associate Professor              fax:   (617)  632-2444                   |
| Department of Biostatistics      office: M1B20                            |
| Harvard School of Public Health  email: rgentlem at jimmy.harvard.edu        |