[BioC] plans for binary version of *.CEL files

Kulp, David david_kulp at affymetrix.com
Wed Jun 25 10:33:05 MEST 2003

The details are fairly simple.

Binary formats are being introduced to reduce file size and speed data
access.  Developers have basically two options:

1. Affymetrix sells a developer's license to a linkable library for reading
GeneChip file formats.  (There are also APIs/libraries available for
accessing backend servers.)  Currently Affymetrix provides Windows and java
implementations.  There are no end-user costs or distribution restrictions
on software that is compiled using this library.  Thus, Bioconductor
developers can choose to write to the API or provide a compile-time switch
to do so for those with the Affymetrix library.  Anyone compiling from
source would need a license.  Bioconductor can provide free precompiled
binaries.

2. Affymetrix provides a MAGE-ML exporter (available for download from the
website) which outputs data into an ASCII format that is open and easily
parseable.  It contains all of the "CEL" data you expect.  There is no cost
to use this format.  Because the individual cell data is stored in an
accompanying ASCII file, there is no significant "XML bloat".

The first option may be the preferred option in terms of speed and long-term
compatibility.  It also is the easiest to use for the end-user because no
conversion is required.  The second option is simple, free, and comparable
to performance of the current ASCII CEL files.

I recommend joining the Affymetrix Developer Network for more information.

David Kulp