[BioC] plans for binary version of *.CEL files

Rafael A. Irizarry ririzarr at jhsph.edu
Wed Jun 25 13:48:37 MEST 2003

thanks to David Kulp for his clear explanation. here are some further
points that Ben Bolstad, Robert Gentleman and I see as relevant to
Bioconductor users:

 Affymetrix is switching (slowly) to a proprietary format. They will, as we
 understand it, have CEL files (in their current format) for one year.

 When they switch we are unlikely to be able to make use of the new
 format. Writing code to read proprietary formats is illegal in the USA.
 Bioconductor will therefore *not* accept contributions that do this.
 We simply do not have the legal resources to determine what is or is
 not legal. This means that we must rely on the public APIs
 described by David Kulp below.

 As we see it now, it is likely that there will be two steps
 involved in the reading of probe level data into Bioconductor packages:
 1) converting the proprietary format to a format comaptible with
 bioconductor 2) reading in the files using the affy package. Under these
 conditions we expect a decrease in performance. Users unhappy with  this
 should make their concerns known to their Affymetrix representative or
 bring them up in the Affymetrix Developer Network (as opposed
 to the Bioconductor mailing list).