[BioC] Re: location in chromosome

Jeff Gentry jgentry at jimmy.harvard.edu
Wed Jun 25 15:37:24 MEST 2003

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Park, Richard wrote:
> chromLoc-class Class chromLoc, a class for describing the location of a gene on a chromosome.
> chromLocation-class Class chromLocation, a class for describing genes and their chromosome mappings.

Note that the chromLocation class was revamped for the 1.2 release of
Bioconductor, and the chromLoc class is now defunct.

The 'chromLocs' method for the chromLocation class will return a named
list (the element names correspond to the chromosomes).  Each element
contains a named vector where the Affymetrix IDs and the values are the
location on the chromosome.  You'll notice that some of the values are
negative.  To save on space, we include the strand information in the
location, so the sign of the location value corresponds to the strand
(+/-).

-J