[BioC] P calls

Laurent Gautier laurent at cbs.dtu.dk
Tue Mar 18 13:54:05 MET 2003

On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 11:17:05AM -0000, Stephen Henderson wrote:
> I agree. I was really trying to elicit advice on an alternative. The funny
> thing about the MM probes is that if they just removed them Affy could
> produce a single chip with U133A and B genes, and we could all use a PM only
> algorithm. BUT then they wouldn't get double the money off some labs.
>
> For practical purposes however I still need to filter some data-- for
> computer intensive clustering or learning. So as I said to R. Irizarry
> below, I'm not sure whether to try and do this looking at the probe-set
> level or at the expression summary level.

It probably makes sense to look at things at the probe-set level,
or at the chip probe level as you suggest it.
Using the released version of the package, you can implement the ideas
you suggest.
You will have to write your own 'summary'(*) function (refer to the corresponding
vignette for details). This 'summary' could inspired by one included in
the pack. In your function, you will store the 'A' and 'P' (or whatever)
in a sort of "global" vector (you'll need to use 'get' and 'environment' most
probably)...
The next release (or affy-devel > 1.2.2) would let you do it more easily...

Hopin' it helps,

Laurent

(*) or "pmcorrect" function if the use of MMs is wished

> For instance
> If not a test of difference from the mean of the specific MM (robust or
> whatever), why not a test of difference from all local MM values in that
> sector, or a lower quantile thereof?
>
> Stephen

currently at the National Yang-Ming University in Taipei, Taiwan