[BioC] Automation Server for R?

Byron Ellis bellis at hsph.harvard.edu
Mon Mar 24 18:15:50 MET 2003

It's a particular type of COM Server... very similar (nearly identical
in fact) to ActiveX controls, except that the control (in this case an
entire application) tends to run out-of-process (as opposed to
in-process as is the case with ActiveX). I suppose if someone was
really desperate they could resurrect the code I wrote for, IIRC, R
1.3.1 (it might even be checked into the madman tree somewhere) but it
required changes to the R header files as it had to be compiled under
VC++... I don't even know if it would work under VC.Net as they've
changed things dramatically. It was also somewhat prone to catastrophic
crashes even when it did work :-)