[BioC] P values on Log or Non-Log Values

Gordon Smyth smyth at wehi.edu.au
Tue May 6 12:01:46 MEST 2003

At 01:36 AM 6/05/2003, James MacDonald wrote:
> >From a theoretical standpoint it is more correct to do t-tests on logged
> data because one of the assumptions of the t-test is that the underlying
> data are normally distributed. Microarray expression values are almost
> always strongly right-skewed, and logging causes the distribution to
> become much more symmetrical.
>
>It is doubtful that the logged data are normally distributed, but the
>t-test is fairly robust to violations of the normality assumption as long
>as the data are relatively symmetrical.

Don't forget that results on the robustness of the t-test to normality
assume that (i) there are a reasonable number of objections, at least 15
say, and (ii) the p-values which need to be accurate are those around 0.05
rather than around 1e-5. Neither of these assumptions are true in the
microarray context!

But the main point here is, as Jim says, it has to be a whole lot better on
the log-scale because the log-intensities are more symmetrically distributed.

Cheers
Gordon