[BioC] heatmap colours

Byron Ellis bellis at hsph.harvard.edu
Tue May 13 01:34:50 MEST 2003

It was originally done to mimic the Cy3/Cy5 labels. Everybody else used
it because thats what the software did and there wasn't any way to
change it.

Personally I like Blue->White->Red as fully saturated Blue and Red have
roughly the same apparent brightness (as opposed to
Blue->White->Yellow... I've never understood that color choice except
that Blue and Yellow are, sort of, UCLA's school colors) and the plot
background color is generally white, making white seem like the logical
choice for "center." They maintain the "heat" paradigm as traditional
indicators of hot and cold and unlike blackbody heat maps are more
directly comparable in absolute value.

No, I don't have a function handy... I just keep a 1025 element vector
of color values around in an RDA file.