[BioC] reducing gene number in affybatch objects

Laurent Gautier laurent at cbs.dtu.dk
Thu May 22 17:49:08 MEST 2003

On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 03:06:15PM +0200, Hinnerk Boriss wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> for teaching purposes I would like to cut down the number of genes in
> affybatch objects so that students won't have to wait that long for
> their computations. Unfortunately, I cannot figure out how to do that.
> Any hints? Thanks!

Cutting down the size of an AffyBatch is not straightforward (for the
moment, it should be in the future). There are implications if one
does so (think about the spatial background correction as done
in mas 5.0). I believe that the "slowest" part is the computation of
summary expression values. You may want to investigate the use of the
parameter 'ids' for the method 'computeExprSet'
(or 'summary.subset' for the function 'expresso',
you can ask for the summary of a given set of affyids).

> Yours dreaming of good old plob objects,

The release 1.0 of the package is still available for download I think...
;)

Hopin' it helps,

Laurent

> Hinnerk

currently at the National Yang-Ming University in Taipei, Taiwan