[BioC] diff (Beginner's question)

Adaikalavan RAMASAMY ramasamya at gis.a-star.edu.sg
Tue Nov 25 20:23:14 MET 2003

3rd line of the "Value" section of help(diff) :

" If x is a matrix then the difference operations are carried out on
each column separately. "

i.e. the difference returned as c( row2 -row1, row3 - row2, row4 - row3,
... ) and naturally row_(n+1) - row_n is undefined as there is no
row_(n+1), thus the resulting data will have one less row than the
original one.

If you use diff(exprs(x)), then you are calculating difference between
consecutive genes which does not have any meaning.
Try diff( t( exprs(x) ) ) or simply (x)[,1] - exprs(x)[,2].

--
Adaikalavan Ramasamy