[BioC] RE: time-course experiments (edoardo missiaglia)

Baker, Stephen Stephen.Baker at umassmed.edu
Wed Oct 8 14:55:19 MEST 2003

My apologies for quoting an entire Digest (I hate that too).  Here's my
note with only the right part quoted:

Gary Churchill at the Jackson Labs in Maine has an R program on his
website for performing mixed models ANOVA on microarray data.  The only
problem with this is it uses least squares to fit the model (which would
include a within-subjects factor for the time effect) and would requires
that there are no missing data points and all subjects being measured at
the same time points.  This is because the least squares solution
involves inverting a matrix and missing data would make it not of full
rank.

An alternative approach which wouldn't be done in R would be to use PROC
MIXED in the SAS stats package.  This uses maximum likelihood to fit
mixed models and works well.  If you really want to try to do it in R,
Yudi Pawitan at Dept. of Stats at University of Cork in Ireland has a
book and a set of R programs which would give you a leg up on it:

http://statistics.ucc.ie/staff/yudi/likelihood/index.htm

Stephen P. Baker, MScPH, PhD (ABD)            (508) 856-2625
Sr. Biostatistician- Information Services
Lecturer in Biostatistics                     (775) 254-4885 fax
Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester
55 Lake Avenue North                          stephen.baker at umassmed.edu
Worcester, MA 01655  USA

Message: 10