[BioC] dye swap vs. control channel

Fatima Sanchez Cabo f.sanchezcabo at tugraz.at
Fri Oct 24 11:32:49 MEST 2003

Totally agree with Ramon. The use of a reference sample is a very good
practice when you want to compare more than 3 different samples: there
are not so many missing values, every pairwise comparison is straight
forward and the different properties of the dyes are not a problem any
longer. However, the problem is to find this reference. For a time
course experiment, we tried using a pool of RNA extracted at the
different time points. In theory, the idea was good,specially because we
would then obtain a signal in the reference channel for all the
interesting genes, those lightening up at any time point, but in
practice the number of missing values didn't improve with respect to
previous experiments where we used RNA extracted at t0 as reference. Has
anyone used a pool of RNA at different time points? For prokaryotes we
used gDNA as reference and it worked pretty well...(see Taalat et al.
for reference)

About the dye swap when we need to balance the different properties of
the dyes I always wonder why to use it is such a problem. Unfortunately,
for two-color microarrays we usually need one technical repeat to
validate the results. Since we have to do it, anyway, why not to swap
the dyes and have some extra information that might be also useful for
the normalization of the data?

Best regards,

Fatima