[BioC] Defining Weights in marrayNorm.

Gordon Smyth smyth at wehi.edu.au
Wed Sep 3 11:04:07 MEST 2003

At 11:46 PM 2/09/2003, Josef Walker wrote:
>Hi Gordon,
>
>Having spent time trying to do the weights thing in marrayNorm, I had a
>go at using the limma package and the instructions you give below. The
>weights thing seems to have worked (in my hands, a minor miracle!).
>
>I have a couple of question that I can't seem to get the answers to from
>the accompanying literature.
>
>1) When creating an RGlist from a genepix file, are the columns used for
>R, Rb, G and Gb the MEDIAN values or MEAN? I know it says I can specify
>them, but I'm not sure how.

R and G are means and Rb and Gb are medians. (The Genepix backgrounds are
often larger than I'd like them to be, so I wouldn't recommend a change to
mean backgrounds.)

In the latest (development) version of limma, there is an example showing
how to change the columns used for Genepix data in Section 3 "Reading in
Intensity Data" of the html limma User's Guide.

>2) Is there an option to carry out Within-arrays Scale and PrintTip
>normalisation as you can in marrayNorm?

There is no option for print-tip scale normalization. Print-tip scale
normalization was not found to be effective in the original Yang et al
paper. I have never seen a data set for which I think it's a good idea, so
I don't provide it. Print-tip loess normalization is of course provided and
is the default method.

All the best
Gordon