[BioC] Two rma questions

Naomi Altman naomi at stat.psu.edu
Sun Apr 18 06:03:27 CEST 2004

The strains should still be normalized together.

Normalization reduces the between array variability.  If the strains are
normalized separately, the within strain variance will be falsely deflated,
increasing the apparent significance of differential expression.

If the true distribution of probe expression differs dramatically between
strains, then you are in real trouble.  (I have seen this - not in strains
but in treatments that directly affect the RNA.)  I am not sure what to do
- perhaps do quantile normalization using only the MM and control probes,
and then normalizing the PM probes to the quantile distribution.

The microarray analysis community has not yet addressed the problem of
normalization when there is a lot of differential expression.

--Naomi