[BioC] Affymetrix file parsers released under LGPL open source license

Richard Finney rfinney5 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 16 04:00:24 CET 2004

How I got the Affy file parser stuff to compile
on Linux ...

First, I downloaded and unziped the zip files.
I created a file called istream
in the current working directory that just included
the line "#include <stdio.h>".  I tried including
the place where the "istream" file  lives with a -I
but kept
having to put in more and more -I's option
to g++ but at the  end I had several screenfuls of
"already defineds".
Yuk.  So I punted.  The "#include <stdio.h>" in the
fake "istream" file is
needed to provide a prototype for the sscanf()
function.

Then I put a "int main(){return 0;}" in
ReadAffxFiles.cpp
so that it had a "main" to get happy about.
The code appears to be written with Microsoft "C"
which as we all know is ... well ... different.

Then I created and ran the following batch file.

___ batch file for unix to compile, cut here ____
g++ -w -I./ -I/usr/include/ \
-I/home/gcc/gcc-3.0.2/libstdc++-v3/libsupc++/ \
BARFileData.cpp \
BPMAPFileData.cpp \
CDFFileData.cpp \
CELFileData.cpp \
CHPFileData.cpp \
FileIO.cpp \
ReadAffxFiles.cpp

## Note, make a file called istream in the current
working directory, it should have
## this next one line (including the # which doubles a
comment line in this script)....
#include <stdio.h>
____ end cut _____

Great.  It creates an a.out file.

Note the -I./ directive so that the compiler finds
the "istream" file in the current working directory
and notice the -w
parameter.  The -w parameter apparently shuts up
all the warnings.  You'll get several "miscasting"
warnings if you don't use it.  Somebody should
do the proper castings if they get real motivated.
Note also the "-I/...libsupc++/" include directive.
That's where libsupc++  is on my Clinton era home
redhat box and it will probably live in a different
place on your more correctly
configured deluxe 4GHz gentoo machine.
Use "find / -type d -name 'libsupc++' -print" to
find it.

The actual invocation of useful functions ?
I'll leave that to the eager and desperate readers
of this post.  The writer/poster of the original
code at Affy provides a documentation file on
how to talk to his code among the 4 downloadable
zip files.

Somebody (Ben Bolstad, I think) wrote some binary
CEL file parsing routines in Bioconductor.
This provides an alternate starting point
for anybody interested in hacking around with
CEL files.

-rich

http://www.affymetrix.com/support/developer/filesdk/index.affx