[BioC] testing GO categories with Fisher's exact test.

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz at cnio.es
Wed Feb 25 11:11:28 MET 2004

Dear Michael,

On Wednesday 25 February 2004 10:07, michael watson (IAH-C) wrote:
> Forgive my naivety, but could one not use a chi-squared test here?
> We have an observed amount of genes in each category, and could calculate
> an expected from the size of the cluster and the distribution of all genes
> throughout GO categories...

I am not sure I see what your question is so I'll answer to two different
questions, and hope one of them does it:

1. Chi-square vs. Fisher's exact test: Yes, sure. That is, in fact, what some
tools do. Others directly use Fisher's exact test for contingency tables
because/if/when some of the usual assumptions of the chi-square test do not
hold (e.g., many of the cells have expected counts < 5; actual recommedations
vary; Agresti [Categorical data analysis], Conover [practical nonparametric
statistics], etc, provide more details on the "rules of thumb" for when not
to trust the chi-square approximation). Fisher's exact test is the classical
small sample test for independence in contingency tables.

2. Can you do a single test with all GO terms at the same time? I guess you
could, but as I said in the other email the problem is number of cells if the
number of GO terms is even modest: you have a bunch of genes (e.g., 10000)
and each is cross-classified according to presence/absence of each of the K
GO terms. (So "We have an observed amount of genes in each category" is not
actually an accurate description of the sampling scheme here). That gives you
a K-way contingency table; for any modest K, the number of cells blows up
(e.g., K = 20, you have 2^20 cells). And then, you need to be careful with
the loglinear model in terms of what hypothesis you want to test, and which
ones you are actually testing.

Best,

R.

> ?

Ramón Díaz-Uriarte
Bioinformatics Unit
Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Oncológicas (CNIO)
(Spanish National Cancer Center)
Melchor Fernández Almagro, 3
28029 Madrid (Spain)
Fax: +-34-91-224-6972