[BioC] testing GO categories with Fisher's exact test.

Nicholas Lewin-Koh nikko at hailmail.net
Wed Feb 25 11:58:35 MET 2004

Hi,
I am crafting a longer reply which I will send later. But, in relation to
the chi-squared test yes
you could do a chi-sqared test, but as Ramon poionts out the reason to
use Fisher's exact test
is exactly that for small samples the test performs better. Though I have
always
found it very unsatisfying that Fisher's tea lady needed 4 out 4 correct
for the result
to be sugnificant :) .

In regard to point 2, In theory if you fit the complete model, you would
have 2^20 for a k-way
table. However in this problem you could collapse a lot of the
dimensionality as
many of the cells would have 0's, and with 0 information inference is
hard.
Also, one could make some fairly loose assumptions on the correlation
structure and probably reduce
the dimensionality further.

My 2c

Nicholas