[BioC] unbalanced factorial design

Francois Collin fcollin at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 25 21:13:30 MET 2004

Running lme on a single probe set takes about 20
minutes computing time on my PC.  I'm running R on
windows, which I know can run into memory management
problems, but this problem appears to be completely
cpu bound.

The model that I'm fitting has repeated measures, 6
Visits per Subject, for 20 Subjects.  Subjects have a
Treatment attribute and I'm interested in the fully
saturated model with Visit, Treatment and interaction
effects.   The call to lme() I use is something like
this:

lme(fixed= Expr ~ Visit:Treatment,
    random= ~ Visit | Subject)

The results appear ok, but it takes 20 minutes to run.
 Am I doing something wrong?  Can you all use lme() on
20,000 probe sets and live to talk about it?

Thanks for any insight into this problem.

-francois