[BioC] normalize.invariantset usage

david neil hayes davidneilhayes at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 5 21:13:32 MET 2004

I am interested in normalizing an expression matrix (not an affybatch) using
the function "normalize.invariantset".  I have had luck with the related
normalization functions: normalize.constant,  normalize.loess,
normalize.quantiles (to name a few).

Normalize.invariantset, unlike the other functions mentioned, does not
accept as its input a matrix of expression values, but rather a vector of
expression values (presumably from one chip), as well as a vector of
expression values against which to normalize (presumably a second chip?).
The function returns a list of length 2 comprised of 1 object of class
"smooth.spline" and 1 object which is a logical vector of the genes
comprising the invariant set.

What I don't understand is how to obtain the normalized expression values
for all gene in the vector from the smooth.spline object (The smooth.spline
only seems to contain normalized expression for the invariant set).  I
suspect it is simple, but I have been unable to figure this out.

Thanks in advance.
Neil Hayes

using R1.8.1 on the Windows XP, package=affy1.3.26