[BioC] large amount of slides

Vada Wilcox v_wilcox at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 4 17:06:14 CEST 2004

Dear all,

I have been using RMA succesfully for a while now, but in the past I have
only used it on a small amount of slides. I would like to do my study on a
larger scale now, with data (series of experiments) from other researchers
as well. My questions is the following: if I want to study, let's say 200
slides, do I have to read them all into R at once (so together I mean, with
read.affy() in package affy), or is it OK to read them series by series (so
all wild types and controls of one researcher at a time)?

If it is really necessary to read all of them in at one time how much RAM
would I need (for let's say 200 CELfiles) and how can I raise the RAM? I now
it's possible to raise it by using 'max vsize = ...' but I haven't been able
to do it succesfully for 200 experiments though. Can somebody help me on
this?

Many thanks in advance,

Vada