[BioC] large amount of slides

Adaikalavan Ramasamy ramasamy at cancer.org.uk
Fri Jun 4 17:30:02 CEST 2004

This is what I do :
1. Randomly split into manageable chuncks of say 4 batches of 50
(depends on computer)
2. Do RMA on these batches separately
3. Combine these 4 batches (e.g. cbind/merge) into one finalised dataset
4. Repeat for B times and take the average of B datasets

>From past experience, the coefficient of variation is less than 0.03 for
99% of probesets if you use B = 20 - 30.

If you like I can send my perl wrapper script that does this. This is
based on the assumption you can submit multiple jobs (e.g. clusters or
big server) but you can easily modify it.

I don't know much about increasing RAM. You can try just.rma( ...,
destructive=TRUE) but I am not sure if this uses significantly less RAM.
Regards, Adai.