[BioC] Affy: present genes and anova

Naomi Altman naomi at stat.psu.edu
Thu Jun 24 18:08:12 CEST 2004

We had a similar concern.

We found that some genes known to express at very low levels in only one of
our "treatments" in fact had a statistically significant limma F-value
(which w consider to be a good thing).

We did find some genes that appear to be statistically significant but
which are expressed at a low level in all treatments.  We do not have much
information about how these genes should be expressed.  Of course, there
are always false positives and false negatives, and this cannot be avoided
by statistical means.  Limma or SAM appear to perform better than
unadjusted ANOVA.

--Naomi

p.s. We did RT-PCR on several genes that were below our "detection
threshold" but had significant MAS p-values and vice versa.  Some of these
genes were present at low levels and some were not.  MAS did no better or
worse than RMA at determining which genes were really absent.