[BioC] ANOVA, SAM and Limma

Naomi Altman naomi at stat.psu.edu
Thu Jun 24 22:35:15 CEST 2004

I just did a (very) small simulation study comparing one-way ANOVA with
limma and SAM for various values of pi-0, and normal and t-distributed
errors, 2 replicates per treatment, 22700 genes/array.  I did not replicate
my simulations, so what I have to say here is going to be necessarily
heuristic, but there were some lessons.

1. Gene-by-gene ANOVA is not as good as limma and SAM.
2. p-values are not as good as q-values.  (I used the "qvalue" package with
limma.)
3. 2 replicates does not give you a whole lot of power, even when you
"borrow strength" by using all the genes. Most of the differentially
expressing genes were not "discovered".

The SAM d-value and limma F-value had rank correlation 99.7% for the 1 data
set where I checked this.    SAM's q-value estimate is more conservative,
but both are somewhat conservative.  Most of the differences in results
appear to be differences in the estimated q-values, which were computed
from the p-values in limma and directly from the permutations in SAM.  I
cannot conclude from this which method is "better" but limma certainly uses
a lot less memory and is much more convenient if you need specific
contrasts.  On the other hand, SAM in Excel is very easy to use and seems
to work just fine for ANOVA-like analysis.

Associate Professor
Bioinformatics Consulting Center
University Park, PA 16802-2111