[BioC] Normalization for different amts of RNA in limma

Naomi Altman naomi at stat.psu.edu
Sun May 16 17:39:36 CEST 2004

Here is my go at it:

1. The biggest worry is that in the more intense sample there will be more
saturation.  The level of differential expression cannot be determined from
the saturated spots.

2. If differential expression is really a ratio, then the amount of RNA in
the sample should not affect measures of differential expression - i.e.
(10R/10G)=R/G.   Clearly the ratio idea is not exact, but taking logarithms
before doing the analysis is based on this idea.

3. If you are using ANOVA or limma to do the computations, if (2) is
correct and if you have an array effect in your model, your measures of
differential expression should be OK.  Alternatively, you could put "RNA
amount" as a factor in the model and you should be OK.

4. I agree that you should normalize between arrays.  I am not very
familiar with the limma routines - you will want to normalize both the mean
and the variance.  Normalizing the variance should help reduce effects due
to the amount of RNA in the sample.

5.  If you are using an analysis that does not involve taking the
difference in logarithms, points 2-4 will not help you.  In that case, you
need to know the relationship between amount in the sample and
hybridization intensity.

--Naomi