[BioC] Bioconductor Release 1.5 Archive

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at jimmy.harvard.edu
Tue Nov 2 20:35:03 CET 2004

On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 08:03:12PM +0100, Benjamin Haibe-Kains wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Unfortunately this way does not work with two different computer
> platforms, let say a pentium III and a powerpc. It would be useful to
> have a big package or a set of several packages that can be compiled in
> the fly.

  It really is just way to big, what about mirroring our site (as
  other do) and building off of that? And in your example, you would
  need to have all computers set up for source builds (btw). If that
  is true then a simple download script will get all of those.

  I am pretty sure that there are standard tools that will get this
  done for you, without building a big single bundle - and it really
  is not such a good way, as you don't want that - you would need to
  get a whole new one of everything for a small single change; not
  very good use of bandwidth.

  Robert

> For Muhammad Subianto : It seems that the rpms for bioconductor contains
> only the getBioC script ...
>
> Jeff Gentry wrote:
>
> >There isn't really - it would be too big.
> >
> >Personally what I would do is use getBioC to install everything to a
> >separate directory (using destdir) and then just copy that dir around.
> >
> >On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, Benjamin Haibe-Kains wrote:
> >

> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>Is it exist a single "big" archive of bioc release 1.5 ?
> >>
> >>I would want to install the new release (with all the packages of bioc
> >>-> libName="all") on several machines ... Have you an idea ? I think
> >>that it's possible to take the file files from .../site-library of one
> >>installation and simply copy them into the directory of another machine.
> >>Is it correct  or it is not so obvious ?
> >>
> >>Thanks for your help
> >>
> >>--
> >>Benjamin Haibe-Kains
> >>	[http://www.ulb.ac.be/di/map/bhaibeka/]
> >>

> >>PhD student in the Machine Learning Group (MLG)
> >>	[http://www.ulb.ac.be/di/mlg/]
> >>Universite Libre de Bruxelles (ULB)
> >>E-mail: bhaibeka at ulb.ac.be
> >>
> >>MicroArray Unity
> >>	[http://www.bordet.be/servmed/array/index.htm]
> >>Institut Jules Bordet (IJB)
> >>E-mail: benjamin.haibekains at bordet.be

> --
> Benjamin Haibe-Kains
> 	[http://www.ulb.ac.be/di/map/bhaibeka/]
>

> PhD student in the Machine Learning Group (MLG)
> 	[http://www.ulb.ac.be/di/mlg/]
> Universite Libre de Bruxelles (ULB)
> E-mail: bhaibeka at ulb.ac.be
>
> MicroArray Unity
> 	[http://www.bordet.be/servmed/array/index.htm]
> Institut Jules Bordet (IJB)
> E-mail: benjamin.haibekains at bordet.be

| Robert Gentleman                 phone : (617) 632-5250                   |
| Associate Professor              fax:   (617)  632-2444                   |
| Department of Biostatistics      office: M1B20                            |
| Harvard School of Public Health  email: rgentlem at jimmy.harvard.edu        |