[BioC] Unequally spaced replicates in limma

michael watson (IAH-C) michael.watson at bbsrc.ac.uk
Thu Sep 2 11:23:21 CEST 2004

Thanks Gordon

Actually when I did this, I got some odd results.

If I ran lmFit(), eBayes() and topTable() on my data set on a per-spot
basis, I found ~800 SPOTS with a p-value <= 0.05.  Now most of my genes
are replicated in duplicate on the arrays (within-array replicates) and
when I averaged over those replicates, and used that data to feed into
lmFit(), eBayes() and topTable() I got ~1100 GENES with a p-value
<=0.05.

Does this suggest that after averaging over replicate spots, the
measurements for my genes are more tightly distributed than the
individual spots were..?

Cheers
Mick