[BioC] MAS5 and GCOC difference to get CEL files

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Mon Sep 13 15:23:19 CEST 2004

Adaikalavan Ramasamy wrote:
> I assume that you used
>  i)  12 CEL files to obtain MAS 5.0 via R and
>  ii) 4 CEL files via GCOS (GeneSpring Operating Software ?) which I
> assume also gives MAS 5.0

GCOS stands for GeneChip Operating Software, and is the Affymetrix
replacement for MAS5.

> On Mon, 2004-09-13 at 10:41, Delphine Fleury wrote:
>
>>Dear all,
>>I am analyzing affymetrix data ATH1 from the same biological experiment
>>(material growth, harvesting and RNA extraction done at the same time in
>>the same conditions) but hybridized at 2 different dates (the 2d set
>>done 1 year later). So , 12 chips were preprocessed with MAS5 getting
>>CEL files and 4 chips with GCOS.
>>At first, I see that the size of the CEL files are about 11 MB for the
>>12 chips and about 5 MB for the 4 last chips.

The 12 files are in the old-style text format, whereas the 4 newer files
are in binary format, and hence are smaller.

Secondly, the mean signal
>>of the 4 last chips is lower than those from the 12 chips (cf boxplots
>>before normalization, and AffyPLM).
>>Is it possible that the lower signal is related to the preprocessing
>>method from GCOS ?

Possible, but not likely. You should check with whoever did the
processing and see if they used the ENZO kit or the new IVT kit from
Affy with the last four chips. I am betting that they switched to the
new IVT kit. If so, this is probably very bad news, because I don't
think the results will be comparable. I know for a fact that RMA, GCRMA,
and MAS5 will not give comparable results for the two IVT protocols. For
the next month or two you can still get the ENZO kit, so if you need
data from the other four chips I would recommend re-doing them with the
ENZO kit.