[BioC] loged data or not loged previous to use normalize.quantile

Marcelo Luiz de Laia mlaia at fcav.unesp.br
Wed Apr 6 23:18:59 CEST 2005

Dear Fangxin Hong, Gordon Smyth, Kasper Hansen, Naomi Altman, Rhonda
DeCook,   Wolfgang Huber, and others Bioconductor's  Friend.

I thank you kindly!

Yours posts is very important for me!

Since that I send the first message with this topic and received the
first reply, I had that to take off a time to read about quantiles, vsn,
amongst others subjects.

Although I not to have understood some theories, the messages and
comments had forced me to study it.

Mr. Smyth wrote something that called my attention: background
correction. Then, he found out my mistake.

Previously, I had only attention to the negative values: I had
transformed they into "0". Then, after the transformation in log2, all
values "0" had been transformed into "NA". Therefore, I was using
*normalize.quantiles* in a matrix with values "NA".

After the email of Mr. Gordon, I transformed the negative values and
zeros into half of the minimum value (backgroundCorrect method =
minimum) in each column (each Array). I do this in OOCalc, because I was
work with a matrix, not a RGList.

After that, I got significant values with raw data and with the log2
data transformed, although the results to be slightly different.

Now I have other questions, but I will do it in another topic.

Thanks a lot!

Marcelo