downloading an entire repository (was Re: [BioC] (no subject))

Adaikalavan Ramasamy ramasamy at cancer.org.uk
Fri Apr 8 13:34:12 CEST 2005

1) Please use an informative subject line

2) Please search the appropriate FAQ and the mailing archives. The link
that you provide (which does not exist) is for R not BioConductor. The
correct documentation and section can be found at
http://www.bioconductor.org/faq.html#downloading . Next, you can naively
simply do a "wget" on the links given here recursively and extract the
packages you need.

3) I feel this is a better option than above. On an interactive
terminal, try the following :

 library(reposTools)
 z <- repositories()
 # now enter 2 for BioConductor Release 1.5 Source repository
 download.packages2( repEntry=z, destDir="/tmp" )

and hopefully they should be in the /tmp/ directory.

On aside, I do not fully understand why the BioConductor core recommends
on using getBioC.R script from the web instead of hard-coding it into R
but I guess it is because the field is quite dynamic and they want the
changes to be reflected immediately.

Regards, Adai