[BioC] (no subject)

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Fri Apr 8 16:19:21 CEST 2005

Hi Howard,

Howard Schumacher <hss at buffalo.edu> writes:
> I'm supporting a user who would like to use Bioconductor R in a lab
> environment.  Your site says "users are encouraged to use getBioC to
> obtain, install and update their packages".  No thanks.

Next time, you might consider that a request for help will be more
effective when you use a tone containing just a bit more politeness.

> it doesn't save bandwidth or shorten the download time.

Clearly, you have to download the Bioc packages once, but I understand
the desire _not_ to download them for each system (as would happen
with repeated calls to getBioC).

> getBioC is also an impairment to using one's admin console,

Eh?

> I'd prefer a web link for "all" packages.  There is no such web link
> though.  The FAQ didn't explain why.

It isn't a FAQ!

You can either use wget (yes, we could arrange are pages so this is
easier, and it is something we will do in time).

Or you can install the reposTools package and use download.packages2
along with the repositories function.  Here's an untested R snippet:

library(reposTools)
rep = repositories()
## select what you want, probably 2
download.packages2(repEntry=rep, destdir=YOURDIRHERE)

+ seth