[BioC] Cannot install Bioconductor

Jonathan Arthur jarthur at med.usyd.edu.au
Thu Apr 14 07:36:36 CEST 2005

Hello all,

I am having great difficulties getting Bioconductor installed. I have
followed the instructions and tried recommendations in the mailing list
and FAQs as detailed below. Could someone please point out where I am
going wrong?

* Following the getBioC instructions, when typing
/source("http://www.bioconductor.org/getBioC.R")/ I get the error message:

Error in file(file, "r") : unable to open connection
In addition: Warning message:
unable to connect to 'www.bioconductor.org' on port 80.

* Using the "Install packages from Bioconductor" item under the
"Packages" menu item gives the error message

Error in download.file(url = paste(contriburl, "PACKAGES", sep = "/"),  :
        cannot open URL
`http://www.bioconductor.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.0/PACKAGES'
In addition: Warning message:
unable to connect to 'www.bioconductor.org' on port 80.

* From the mailing list I tried:

Sys.putenv("http_proxy"="http://[your proxy server address]:[Port number]")

using the automatic proxy configuration URL, I use for my browser but
get the same error as above.

* From the R FAQ I tried using the --internet2 option by running the
command "C:\Program Files\R\rw2001\bin\Rgui.exe --internet2" from the
Run prompt, but Windows does not recognise this (I have possibly got the
Windows syntax wrong here??)

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jonathan