[BioC] linear models and intercepts with LIMMA

Ramsi Haddad rhaddad at genetics.wayne.edu
Mon Apr 18 15:53:26 CEST 2005

Dear Jim,

	Thanks for your explanation.  My confusion is over the fact that both
regression and ANOVA are called by the same function.
I guess I don't need the intercept as Gordon suggested for the factor
co-variates, but I thought I needed an intercept for a continuous
co-variate.
	My original message indicated that the intercept can be calculated by
loosing one of the samples when using group (factor) data.  If I use
only a continuous covariate, like age, I can get an intercept and still
keep the age co-variate.  The trouble arises when I add a factor (like
group) and a continuous co-variate (like age).  In this case, I can get
an intercept, but I loose a factor.

	I am not intending to do anything with the intercept.  For this reason,
I am taking Gordon's advice and not calculating an intercept.

Thanks all.

Ramsi