[BioC] where to start?

michael watson (IAH-C) michael.watson at bbsrc.ac.uk
Wed Apr 20 13:22:41 CEST 2005

Hi Malik

What do you want to do?  Bioconductor has many packages which you could
use.  My preference when it comes to detecting differential expression
is for limma, but there are many others such as siggenes, genefilter,
multtest etc

For multtest, read the multtest.pdf after installing that library.  You
will want to read your data into an R data frame using read.table().

For limma, again you will probably need to read your data in using
read.table().  Then you can either create an exprSet class (type
?exprSet) or an MAList (documented in the limma help).  The limma
package is easier to use if you have the original data outputs from your
image analysis software....

For clustering, there are plenty of mails on this list that have dealt
with this, but the functions you may want to start with are hclust(),
dist() and cor().

But really, that's all just for starters!  What do you want to do?? :-)

Mick