[BioC] where to start?

michael watson (IAH-C) michael.watson at bbsrc.ac.uk
Wed Apr 20 15:52:17 CEST 2005

OK, off the top of my head, *if* I wanted to use limma to apply some
linear models across my data set (which would, I think, tell me which
genes were changing significantly between one or more phenotypes):

1) Edit the data in Excel and get rid of the Class row
2) Save the data as text (tab or space delimited, it doesn't matter)
3) read the data in to R using read.table (which by default splits data
into columns based on white-space)
4) manipulate the data - what we are trying to get is a matrix of data
in R, where the rownames() of the matrix are the genenames, the
colnames() of the matrix are the experiment names and the values are the
expression values.  What you get back from read.table() will be like
this, but not quite.  Install the Biobase library, load it and type
?exprSet.  Read that entire help file, execute the example, and pay
particular attention to the format of the geneData matrix
5) after reading the above helpfile you will have an exprSet object,
which can be used by limma.
6) read the limma manual.  Some of the bits of the manual which refer to
affy data include examples of using limma with exprSet objects.

:-)  Most of all have fun.  R can be a tough learning curve, but it's
worth it.  Let me know how you get on.

Mick