[BioC] Need help to creat AffyBatch object

Fri Aug 26 19:16:17 CEST 2005

Well first a note: an AffyBatch object contains one row per probe on
the chip (and I mean _all_ probes: ncol * nrow). It uses the row
number as a link to (x,y) position. It is therefore quite important
that the object has the correct number of rows. The link goes a bit
like this
   gene -> probeSet -> set of (x,y) coordinates -> row numbers
If you delete eg. all control probes from the AffyBatch object the
last step will be messed up.

Now, I am not sure whether you have done summarization. If that is
the case you should have a matrix with one row per gene, with the
rownames equal to the affy probeset identifiers.

If you are not at this step, you probably want to plugin your method
into the affy package set of routines. This is quite doable, but you
need to spend quite some time on the documentation. I think the
vignette explains it (ok, perhaps not a complete walkthorugh, but at
least points you in the right direction).

If you look at the help files for
   "exprsSet", "phenoData" and "AffyBatch" object (and you may need
to access them using class?AffyBatch for instance) you should find
examples of creating AffyBatch objects. The key (or most difficult
part) is actually creating the phenoData slot. You can also find a
sample way of generating an AffyBatch object by looking at the last
lines of the code for the read.affybatch function.

I suggest you spend some time reading the help pages referred to
above. And then return if you have more questions.

Kasper